Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A fresh start...now with zucchini fritters

This summer I went to Greece for the first time. It was simply amazing, and although I only spent 10 days there I am dreaming of the food and of going back for another visit. In honor of that, and since today was a rest day, I decided to cook up some Greek food on this balmy evening.

Since it is balmy, I wanted something as simple and quick as possible. Something that preferably didn't use many heat producing kitchen items. Therefore I opted to go with the Kolokithokeftedes (or zucchini fritters). I first had these at the Faros Taverna on Naxos in the Cyclades (the same archipelago as Santorini), and they quickly became one of my favorite foods.

I adapted a recipe from Whipped (one of my favorite food blogs). However, I had to make a few substitutions.

Instead of dill, I used a combination of rosemary and oregano. My local grocer didn't have any dill, so I used other herbs that made me think of Greece.

I also didn't grate the zucchini, as I believe my box grater is in storage. Instead, I used a food processor to chop the zucchini into small pieces.

Finally, I used store bought tzatziki.

Here's what the final product looked like:


It was delicious, and the perfect dinner for a warm, summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment